avatar

Friday, September 23, 2011

Tool #8

Receiving new technology is always a double-edge sword. You shouldn't complain because you're receiving free technology but sometimes the quality of the technology is overlooked. 

The students are already very aware of Apple products. They either have their own copy of every available piece of technology or they have borrowed it from our library. They have respect for the devices and seem to know how to use them properly (or have become good at asking).
I will have a check out and use procedure similar to the militant procedure of entering my classroom.


I created a new iTunes account. Apparently I created a school account a few years ago and abandoned it in favor of our home account.  I had to go through finding and changing my password--an easily fixed problem. Now I need to remember which account I'm using in case I decide to start downloading music or movies.

I love Dragon Dictation. I've got it on my iPhone and sometimes use it to text. It is great but I've learned that you have to focus on your diction because it easily can misunderstand you and place what it thinks you said. As long as you double check what it has all will be well. Otherwise, you'll have some words that make no sense mixed in.

The 'tutorial' is about syncing devices we don't have. While I already use these devices and understand the process it is going to be confusing to those that don't use them and aren't familiar with them. An abstract concept where someone has no background knowledge needs to be presented in a more concrete way. Come on, that is a basic teaching strategy. To be honest, I've stopped watching the videos. They are not related to me as I don't have the devices in my hands.
Again--this makes me think that whoever planned this did a poor job. Is it possible that they (the planner of this 11 Tools) were told that we (the staff who has to do these tasks) would actually have the devices when we were doing this. Sounds like a great example of bureaucracy--left hand doesn't have a clue about the right hand's activities. 


1 comment: